Guns Kill or People Kill?

Here is the place to discuss - or rant - about cultural and political things. Love or hate a politician or party? Opinions about public policy issues and things the government does (or does not)? Put it here.
greerl

Guns Kill or People Kill?

Post by greerl »

Regarding the Newton school massacre, I wonder how many of you know that China has a problem too, seemingly similar, with one BIG difference. No gun (offender had a knife), no deaths (this time) even though 22 kids and 1 adult were injured in a rampage there this Friday as well. Ref http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2 ... ife-attack

If you are in the "guns don't kill" camp or think you may have an understanding of such a position, perhaps you could have a go at explaining why our military thinks they need "guns" if guns don't kill?

It seems to me since we are presumed free, there is little that could be done to prevent a first offense even if we could identify those thought likely to eventually offend.
tim

Re: Guns Kill or People Kill?

Post by tim »

I thought that slasher attack in China happening the same day was weird.

LOTS of things said and being said about the Newtown attack. The "guns don't kill" business is just about changing the focus from the gun(s) to the criminals using them.

Big question is whether the 2nd Amendment is obsolete. And whether some people's (current) rights trump others' safety. Many analogies being thrown around too but no analogy is perfect.

I don't see anyone budging on their beliefs/positions as a result of discussion/debate either.

Here is one interesting opinion from a self-described liberal/leftist: http://kontradictions.wordpress.com/201 ... -tell-you/
Bob Carabbio

Post by Bob Carabbio »

Well, of course, PEOPLE KILL. Guns just "lie there" doing absolutely nothing, till somebody pick 'em up.

BUT - guns DO make the killing process more efficient, and obviously less threatening to the killer (Remember the scene in "Raider of the Lost Ark" where there the fellow with the sword, and Indy just blows him away - from a distance). I remember a scene from the OLD Dick Tracy TV series (in the '50s) where "Prune Face" is gonna kill a mother and her daughter - with a DISK SANDER!!!! now That's SERIOUS violence for you!! Naturally Dick got there in time, and put a damper on the carnage.

No doubt that if there weren't guns/automatic weapons in the hands of psychopaths, there'd be less killings in public places.

But regardless - it's the PEOPLE - that kill other people by whatever means.

The last jury I sat on, convicted a man on two counts of "manslaughter", AND two counts of "attack with a deadly weapon" - which was his Semi that he ran over two cars with, killing both occupants.
greerl

Post by greerl »

To say that guns don't kill is generally semantics without a meaningful difference. Without the gun Ford would be dead, not the other guy. But from the perspective of what should be a public debate and agreement on a rational policy, the only way to keep people from killing using guns is to restrict the guns. Again, it's a meaningless distinction even if literally true.