The Big Sick

Seen a good movie or read a good book? Gone somewhere fun (or disappointing)? Have ideas about sports, hobbies, and related things? This is teh place for it!
greerl

The Big Sick

Post by greerl » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:44 pm

The Big Sick was engrossing, entertaining, recommended. https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_big_sick/

I did feel a bit let down that the movie did not really address the issues raised: arranged marriage, religion, family shunning. The religion plot did not get much past a statement that Kumail was not practicing. Though of course at some point the attempted marriage arrangements would not have been welcomed due to Kumail's love for Emily, he never really explained why he rejected the presented beautiful women without specific cause. I think the closest he came to identifying a reason was rhetorically questioning his parents about why they even came to America if they wanted him to remain Pakistani. But one could assume that the presented women were as American as Kumail so that rings hollow to me.

tim

Re: The Big Sick

Post by tim » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:41 am

Interesting film. The most unrealistic thing, though, was the guy signing a consent form for his ex-girlfriend to get medical care when he is no relation to her. That just doesn't happen.