Proof of a God.

Philosophical discussions, especially related to religious questions, thought experiments (such as god(s)) and the like go here.
greerl

Proof of a God.

Post by greerl »

Interesting quote in Dallas Morning News today (Sunday July 13, 2014 Points front page): "think about it, no matter how smart they think they are, an atheist has to admit that he believes the equation: Nobody plus nothing equals everything.", a presumed quote from Rep. Louie Gohmert as carried in the Huffing ton Post, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/1 ... 75241.html.

I think he intended the statement as an insult, probably not really appreciating how close to the truth he was or at best how equally illogical (if you think there must be a creator) it is to think that a human-like buddy who is your personal friend created the universe, presumably also out of nothing.

Comments re how accurate / "good" that quote is as a description of atheism. It works for me at some level.
tim

Re: Proof of a God.

Post by tim »

Here is a description of Christianity floating around the internet:

CHRISTIANITY The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present.

Julia Sweeney also has a perfectly hilarious description of what she learned from visiting Mormon Missionaries. More info and links here:

http://mormontruth.blogspot.com/2007/02 ... right.html

None of the other traditional religions sound very sensible when summarized either.

Now as for Gohmert ... hard to believe he keeps getting re-elected. A hazard of democracy I suppose.
Docbree

Re: Proof of a God.

Post by Docbree »

I just watched the TED talk video mentioned above (Julia Sweeney). Very entertaining - thanks for the post.
- Brenda